Flaxseeds, sometimes called linseeds, are small, brown, tan or golden-colored seeds. Flaxseeds are a great source of dietary fiber; minerals like manganese, thiamine, and magnesium; and protein. It is one of the richest sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds are even more beneficial when sprouted and ground into a flaxseed meal. Grinding flax helps you absorb both types of fiber it contains.
Here are some benefits of Flaxseeds
- High in fiber but low in carbs: Flax is low in carbohydrates but extremely high in both soluble and insoluble fiber, which means it also supports colon detoxification, may help with fat loss and can reduce sugar cravings.
- High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: They contain a type of Omega-3 Fatty Acids called, Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) which reduces the risk of coronary heart disease and hypertension, improves platelet function, reduce inflammation, promote healthy endothelial cell function, protect arterial function and reduce heart arrhythmias.
- Helps Lower Cholesterol and Treat Hyperlipidemia: Adding flaxseeds into your diet can naturally reduce cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of fat excreted through bowel movements.
- Gluten-Free: It does not contain any gluten, flaxseeds are a good choice for those who have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- Help Manage Diabetes: Flaxseed is well-known for its effects against blood sugar spikes. When diabetic subjects took one tablespoon of ground flax seeds daily for a month, they experienced a significant drop in fasting blood sugars, triglycerides, cholesterol, and A1C level.
- High in antioxidants.
- May Help Regulate Blood Pressure: A Report published in Clinical Nutrition in 2016 found flaxseed may lead to a significant decrease in systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- Supports Digestive Health: Flax is very high in soluble and insoluble fiber, which means it’s very helpful for maintaining normal bowel movements., flaxseed is considered as the best remedy for constipation.
- Help Lower Cancer Risk
- Help with Weight Loss
- Helps Decrease Menopausal and Hormonal Imbalance Symptoms