International Symposium on wheat related Disease 2019.
The event was organized by Celiac society of India. I had attended it to know more about the wheat related disease so I can guide you with the latest research and knowledge. I was given Faculty status, and that gives me a chance to talk to all speakers in person. Chairman Dr. Tom O’brayan is world renowned Authority about Wheat related disease.Dr.Yahuda and Dr.Natash, Dr.Thomos and Dr.Krishnan and many more. They are world’s Experts in Functional Medicine and Immunology. My faith in the knowledge I have, related to these diseases have increased by knowing similiar approach of these renowned faculties, which I want to share with you.
It is a most severe form of the wheat disease, and it is widely known disease caused by wheat, and previously it was rare and was only found in Western countries but now incidence of celiac disease is raised in India. 1% of the population is affected by this disease. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that occurs because of ingestion of a protein, called gluten, which is present in the cereals – wheat and barley. In these patients, the gluten protein is not digested completely and that leads to damage to the small intestinal mucosa (where food is absorbed). With the damage of small intestine, the food is not absorbed and thus, these patients fail to grow in height and weight, develop chronic diarrhea, anemia (low hemoglobin), and weakness of bones. Children have any problem with this disease. You may have gastric symptoms or may have symptoms beyond gastric symptoms. Sometimes it is difficult to diagnosed and required intestinal biopsy. Once a child is diagnosed, he has to remain on Gluten free diet through his life. Early the diagnosis better the prognosis.
Another form of the Wheat related disease is Non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. This entity is Conventionally not acceptable because of the lack of availability of Evidence in literature. Although Dr. Tom and many Experts had given research data about it, but still, it is not accepted widely. My opinion is Why should we wait for Evidence? We can try it and collect our research data. That try is called Elimination Diet. I recommend to all my chronic disease patient to try an elimination diet for a minimum of 21 days and see for any change in symptoms and overall wellbeing. Then reintroduce Gluten and see a reappearance of symptoms. If symptoms reappear then you are sensitive to wheat and gluten. We had seen results in many patients. Although wheat may not be the primary culprit of the disease, it may be a contributing factor.
Take Away Message
- Every time you eat wheat it creates inflammation in your intestine and breaks the intestinal barrier. Most people heal it by itself. This healing requires sufficient nutrition, protein, and vitamins. If you eat wheat on regular basis then one day in your life you no longer heal it and that point you develop a disease associated from what consumption. Most people say that I am eating wheat my whole life and I was fine without any problem and why now I am having issues with Wheat?. This will explain this question.
- Those who have a chronic inflammatory or autoimmune disease, They need to avoid Wheat completely and those who feel healthy should put wheat in low priority and use many other grains like millet, Amaranth, Sorghum, Quinoa… Use all grain that gives you variety of phytonutrient.
- Those who have Diabetes or insulin resistance, Avoiding wheat and using other grains is not sufficient they need to understand that all grains are high in carbs and that raise blood sugar.
- There is no point moving from Wheat containing factory food to glutenfree factory food. I had seen many companies are now coming with gluten-free foods. Beware of these gluten-free foods, As they are often loaded with sugar and artificial food chemicals. Choose a trusted one or a better you should cook at home.
- Nutrition is key to fight any chronic disease. When you are suffering from chronic disease, your requirement for vitamins increases. So keep checking your vitamins and minerals profile on a regular basis and supplement if needed. Most patients found Vitamin D and B12 deficient.
- It’s a variety of foods that give you broad nutrition and Add colorful of foods in your diet. Select red color from Beetroot, Green from Capsicum, Red from tomato and carrot and so forth…