Here are some benefits of Chia seeds.
- Improve heart health: Chia seeds are especially high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s work to protect the heart by lowering blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and inflammation.
- Balance Blood Sugar: Rich in both alpha-linolenic acid and fiber, evidence from several studies suggests that chia seeds can help maintain normal blood sugar levels to fight diabetes and insulin resistance.
- Promote Digestive Health: Because of their rich fiber content, chia seeds benefit digestive health by promoting regularity and increasing stool frequency to prevent constipation.
- Build Stronger Bones: One of the biggest chia seed health benefits is the ability to strengthen bone health and preserve bone density while reducing the risk of serious conditions like osteoporosis. This is because chia seeds are loaded with calcium and manganese, two minerals that are incredibly important for maintaining bone health.
- Aid in Weight Loss: Adding chia seeds to your diet is an excellent way to enhance weight loss and help shed stubborn pounds. Studies show that increasing your intake of protein can promote weight loss by curbing cravings and cutting caloric intake.
- Fight Cancer Growth: Chia seeds are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a type of omega-3 fatty acid. Researchers found that it caused cell death of the cancer cells without harming the normal healthy cells in the body.
- Enhance Oral Health: Because chia seeds are packed with calcium, phosphorus, vitamin A and zinc it is good for maintaining oral health. Zinc prevents tartar by keeping plaque from mineralizing onto your teeth and has an antibacterial effect that keeps bad breath germs away. Vitamin A and phosphorus are also important for strong teeth and a healthy mouth
- Support Healthy Skin: Chia seeds have antioxidants, accounting for the powerful benefits of chia seeds for skin health.
How to use chia seeds
There are major 2 ways to use chia seeds. You can use whole seeds by soaking them or grind it and use it as flour.
- Chia flour:
Grind chia seeds into flour. Pulse the seeds in a food processor until a fine powder forms. Use it in place of all-purpose flour by substituting it completely or mixing it with other flour
- Chia water:
You can soak the chia seeds in water for about 15 -20 minutes and then drink it. You can add lemon to your drink to give it flavor.